It has become more increasingly apparent that we are under attack. As countries and other organizations spend every waking minute trying to figure out how to destroy us and other areas of the world. With recent stories on the news about Russia systematically searching our utility grid for vulnerabilities, their hacking of our democratic election process giving us the dumbest government administration in history, and the continuation of chemical and biological weapons being grown, tested, and deployed, one has to think just how far off we are from a complete shutdown of basic social services in this country and abroad? How bad will we be affected when someone flips off the switch?
Most people will think I’m crazy (been there for a long time now! LOL) but just pay attention to what is on TV these days…
Let’s start with the basics:
“Preppers are on all different spectrums. Some people are preparing for nuclear war, but I also just used my bug-out bag when Hurricane Harvey hit and we were going to be without electricity for 48 hours. So really, a bug-out bag and preparedness are common sense. To start, you definitely need a bag. Some people use a tote, but you’ll really want something comfortable with adjustable straps that will connect across chest, or maybe even on waist as well, to take weight off the shoulders. 5.11 Tactical has a lot of good bags that people use.”
“A bug-out bag is meant to get you to a location. Sometimes people are misinformed and try to load everything and the kitchen sink into that bag, and that’s not a good approach. You usually have a place you’re going to, like a family member’s house or a country home or a cabin or something along those lines, so it’s all about what’ll hold you over until you get to that place. One of the most important things is water, so you’ll want the Sawyer Mini Water Filter. That’s the one that the preparedness community talks about the most. You can filter 10,000 gallons with one of those. The top-of-the-line is Katadyn, but I haven’t seen a Katadyn talked about in years. Usually, it’s just too expensive, and the Sawyer is smaller and more compact.”
“The thing is, if you buy all this stuff, you need to learn how to use it. If you have a kid and you’re making a bug-out bag for them or you don’t want to learn how to use a Sawyer, you can use LifeStraw. They’re very simple; it’s a no-brainer. Put one side in your mouth, the other side in the water, and just start drinking. That’s for people who need something a little more basic.”
“You should have a way to make fire. People talk about Zippos and your basic Bic lighter, but a lot of the people in the know will have a ferrocerium rod. Ferrocerium is a compound that helps produce a spark to create a flame. The one by Survival Hax is big enough to hold, at about six inches, and it comes with a striker and its own little mini–survival kit. It has like 10,000 strikes.”
“A lot of the time, what you would have in a bug-out situation is something as simple as a Mylar blanket because the idea is to move from one location to the other, and to do it quickly. But if you do need some sort of shelter, there’s the bivvy bag. That keeps you nice and warm, and you can get into that and use it as shelter, but it’s still small and compact and can fit in a bag.”
“For food, you just want something to snack on. People often suggest trail mix, but there’s something else called Survival Tabs. It’s in a mustard-yellow package, and people have tried eating these for two or three days straight, and they’ll say, ‘I’m not completely satisfied, but I’m not hungry.’ So they work.”
“If you want something closer to real food, you’ll want to buy Mountain House dehydrated food. That’s the best-tasting dehydrated food you can buy.”
“A Kaito is the Swiss Army Knife of electronics. It has a radio, phone charger, flashlight, and a crank with a solar panel all in one. A lot of people will use one of those because you can listen to info and charge your phone.”
“Schrade is the best survival knife, even though it’s budget. You’ll also want a multi-tool called the Leatherman Wave, which is a bit more expensive.”
Holulo Organic Vapor Full Face Respirator Respiratory Protection Gas Masks Paint Pesticide Chemical Formaldehyde Anti Virus Full w/ Activated Carbon Respirator.
- Type: Activated carbon mask,Standard: GB,Cartridges: 1010#; Easy to exhale: the double filtration system provides reduced breathing resistance and good weight distribution.Lens use full screen design, anti fog, anti friction to keep perspective rate lens, three-dimensional human curve design of mirror,large clear view area.
- Protection Object: organic gases and vapors, chlorine benzene, acetone, alcohols, anilines, carbon dioxide, carbon tetrachloride, chloroform, methyl bromide, methyl chloride, chloropicrin; Note 2 : Holulo has registered a brand in US , this is only one , please don’t trust an seller:” Parcil Distribution” , it is not legal , please purchase formal business
- Apply in paint, chemicals, polish, CS mask,tactical mask,pesticides protection Chemical laboratory, fire inspection equipment, petroleum, mining, metallurgy, fire fighting, disaster relief, health and epidemic prevention and environmental technology.
- Mask*1,Cartridges with activated carbon*1,Note: if you want to wear glasses, it will not fit.If the mask is stained with stains or perspiration, you can use warm water to clean .But the Filter cartridge CAN’T be cleaned with water.
Food & Storage
Let’s talk about food as anyone who could potentially be stuck without power or options, what do you stock to insure survival?
What Should Be on My Doomsday Food List?
Twinkies and candy bars are not going to cut it. If you are in an emergency situation, every morsel should count. You want to choose high-quality, high-protein items. There is a good chance your physical activity level may increase in a dire situation; therefore high-calorie content should also be in your requirements. The next conditions to pass the worthy eats test: minimal preparation and storage requirements. You don’t want food items that require hours of cooking time or continuous refrigeration. That may be fuel and energy that would be better used to warm your family.
The good news is there are numerous foods readily available to meet these needs.
- Peanut butter
- Nuts and trail mix
- Cereal (most brands these days are fortified with vitamins, minerals and protein)
- Dried fruit
- Canned meats, poultry and fish
- Powdered milk
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Dried beans
- Salt (can not only be used for seasoning but also preservation)
- Honey (also has antiseptic properties)
- Coffee (even if you don’t drink it, the rest of the world does. Coffee will likely make an excellent bartering item)
What about Doomsday Food Storage?
Your doomsday preparation kit needs to be stored properly. The last thing you want during an emergency situation is to find your food supply has spoiled or been infiltrated by insects and rodents. If you are creating your own food stores as opposed to purchasing pre-made kits from somewhere such as MyFoodStorage.com you need to ensure your food is stored in a dry, cool, dark place. Store cardboard boxed or bagged foods in 5-gallon buckets with lids (we have picked up some great buckets from Menard’s that have screw-on lids). Canned foods will be okay on their own. These items should then be kept in cool place, preferably a basement or root cellar.
Remember to check the expiration dates on your emergency food supply every six months to one year. Expired items should be discarded. Items approaching the end of their life should be rotated out and consumed immediately. Everything you take out needs to be replaced.
You should strive to stockpile food to last each member of your household at least 15 days. If you have the storage space available, you can keep that going until you feel comfortable.
Now let’s get a bit more serious about things. Let’s say, for example, another government or entity is able to knock out our power grid. Think about what you will lose…..
The ability to cook, cell phones, home handheld phones, refrigeration, water (among other provided utilities), Internet, etc.
Imagine being dropped into the middle of nowhere, with no way to communicate, no way to get money, no immediate way of locating anyone to help you……. How bad would you freak out?
Without any means of transportation:
MIDLAND 75-822 Handheld 40-Channel CB Radio
One thing that sets it apart from the competitors for the top slot is its versatility. It’s not only the best handheld radio, but it can also be easily transformed into a mobile radio that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. No matter which vehicle you’re driving, your CB radio can come with you and hang right on a microphone holder. Its versatility extends to accessories that work with the unit. You can connect to any CB antenna on the market with a standard PL-259 connector. This unit is also compatible with a car kit with DC power and external antenna adapter.
The features of this Midland stand out. There are 40 CB channels, as many as any CB base station, including 10 National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather channels, which provide constantly updated weather reports. Reception and transmission are improved with the automatic noise limiter (ANL) feature that cuts down on background noise. The squelch control is used to boost reception.
Operating this radio in the dark is simple with its backlit display. The channel scanning allows you to quickly surf what’s out there, and the instant channel 9/19 (AKA the emergency channel and the truckers’ channel) can provide helpful road information and inform you about accidents, roadblocks, and police actions. Also, to make using your CB easier on the road, you can program a function button for instant access for up to five channels and then scan among them.
This light Midland fits in the palm of your hand. It comes with a mobile battery case that uses either six alkaline or eight NiCad AA batteries, which are not included. A money-saving feature of this handheld is the Hi/Lo power control, which saves on battery replacements. The included microphone hanger is handy for either hanging the microphone—or the radio when you’re using it as a mobile CB. In the box is also an AC adapter for charging the rechargeable batteries in the battery pack, a mobile vehicle adapter and a wrist strap and metallic belt clip. Of course the radio, the rubber duck antenna for handheld use and an owners manual also are in the package. The Midland 75-822 is covered by a one-year warranty.
For your home or anywhere:
Alinco DX-R8T Ham Radio Transceiver
150KHz~30 MHz SSB/CW/AM/FM/IQ All-mode Desktop Receiver
Features of DX-R8T
- I/Q signal output allows use of third-party SDR software
- 150 kHz – 30MHz in AM/USB/LSB/CW/FM and IQ modes
- Front and rear jacks make connecting accessories easy
- Direct frequency input to the dual VFO system
- Detachable front-control panel offers more mounting options
- Large LCD display makes operation simple
- Front-speaker and powerful 2W audio output makes it easy to hear signals
- Rugged, die-cast chassis
- Narrow ceramic filters (AM 2.4kHz/SSB 1kHz) and 0.5kHz audio-filtering for CW
- 4-level RF preamp/attenuator
- IF shift and RIT reduces interference
- Noise blanker enables clearer reception
- 3 banks/600 memory channels make it easy to save banks of favorite frequencies
- Two sets of programmed search pairs and varieties of scanning modes
- Auto-power-off, Sleep-timer, Dial and Key locks, RX indicator illumination and more!
- Computer utility software makes it easy to manage settings and edit memories
- Monitor shortwave signals from aviation, navigation and data sources
Even though Morse Code has been all but abandoned, you never know who out there still knows and can communicate using it. So just as a precautionary measure. Keep it in your brain!
Find someone you may know who has served in the military and still may keep in practice using the code.
You never know who is on the other end!
Now let’s talk power. Seemingly in any ordinary extreme weather event, power goes out. Most of the time, not for long but storms are becoming more and more potent as “climate change” has changed our environment drastically over the past few years.
You should be prepared for these events anyway but what if something else comes along, like a complete hack and disruption in our power grid or rolling black outs which are common on the west coast.
How will you get power to the things you need to survive?
Suaoki Portable Power Station 150Wh Quiet Gas Free Solar Generator QC3.0 UPS Lithium Power Supply with Dual 110V AC Outlet, 4 DC Ports, 4 USB Ports, LED Flashlights for Camping Travel CPAP Emergency
- AC/DC/USB Outputs: (2x) AC outlet (max 100W, peak power 150W); (4 x) DC port (15A / 180W max); (1x) QC3.0 USB port (18W max); (3x) USB ports (10.5W max); charges or powers products such as laptops, phones, tablets, cameras, drones, CPAP machine, small home appliances and more
- On-the-Go Power Source: 150Wh (3.7V 40500mAh/11.1V 13500mAh) powerful charging station for camping or emergency backup; probably the most compact power station with a size of 7.3*4.3*4.7 inch, and the weight is only 2.9 lbs; 2 hideable lift handles make it even more portable
- Efficient Solar Generator: connect a solar panel (not included) and S270 Power Station via DC 3.5X1.35 to MC4 connector (included), it can be a silent and gas-free solar generator; with MPPT solar charge controller inside, the unit can be charged much more efficiently
- Triple Input Modes: (1) can be recharged by connecting to SUAOKI 60W, 100W solar panel (SOLD SEPARATELY); (2) can be fully charged in 8 hours by being plugged into wall outlet; (3) can also be charged by plugging into your car 12V socket. (Car charger included)
- Perfect Emergency Tool: battery management system (BMS) enables voltage control, temperature control and more advanced safety operations, ensuring ultra-safety for you and your devices; can also works as a torch for emergency lighting; 18 months warranty and friendly customer service
Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator with Remote Electric Start – 7500 Rated Watts & 9500 Peak Watts – Gas Powered – CARB Compliant – Transfer Switch Ready
- 7500 Running Watts and 9500 Peak Watts; Remote Start with Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank with Fuel Gauge; 10 Hour Run Time at 50% Load
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5-20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Receptacle; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Plug-and-Play: Comes with a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User’s Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Powered by a 420 cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve with Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- EPA, CARB, and CSA Compliant; Backed By a 3-Year Warranty
Now this is a touchy subject given all the violence and gun discussions going on around the country today but one that needs some perspective in my opinion.
While I am not a big proponent of guns, let alone assault rifles which have dominated today’s debates, I still have to take things into consideration and act accordingly.
Ok, so with that, put yourself in this situation:
You’ve taken all the necessary steps and precautions to last through any natural disaster and or attack, whether physical or cyber. The first thing that goes is obviously social services. We’ve seen it over and over again. The minute it goes down, people lose their minds, looters start running rampant and local law enforcement can only be stretched so far in maintaining some level of peace or crowd control. Obviously this is more of an issue in major metropolitan areas but can also be dangerous in rural communities as well.
There’s no power, no communications, and you and your family are held up in your home or another “bug out” place you’ve planned for. How long would it take for someone or a group of people to realize that you have not only power, communication, and food. How long would it take for desperation to set in to where someone comes knocking at your door?
Would they be armed? How would they respond to you telling them to fuck off? Would they simply leave or become more aggressive?
What would you resort to to protect yourself and family?
If you put yourself in that situation, it is hard to argue against the need to arm yourself for protection. It’s an easy out if you are in favor of gun control but not so easy when someone may be armed and threatening you.
The AR-15 Semi-Automatic Rifle
An AR-15 style rifle is a lightweight semi-automatic rifle based on the Colt AR-15 design. After Colt’s patents expired in 1977, an expanded marketplace emerged with many manufacturers producing their own version of the AR-15 design for commercial sale. They are referred to as modern sporting rifles by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a firearms industry trade association, and by some manufacturers.
Why would I even suggest this? While I am a person who believes these really shouldn’t be in civilians hands, at the same time I have to consider what it would do to a would be intruder on myself and family if they heard this with a “shot across the bow” warning. I would expect it would instantly give them a moment of pause which would be my intention before again telling them to fuck off.
Glock 19 Handgun 4th gen
The GLOCK 19 Gen4, in 9×19, introduces revolutionary design changes to the pistol that has found worldwide acclaim with security services both private and public. The Modular Back Strap design lets you instantly customize its grip to adapt to an individual shooter’s hand size. The surface of the frame employs the new scientifically designed, real-world-tested, Gen4 rough textured technology. Internally, the new GLOCK dual recoil spring assembly substantially increases the life of the system. A reversible enlarged magazine catch, changeable in seconds, accommodates left or right-handed operators.
ASH 3A Concealable body armor kit
Level 3A concealable body armor with rip stop carrier in black. This carrier is also able to accept hard stand alone plates.
Condor Cross Draw Vest/Tactical Belt
- Right side has 3 ammo pouches, above the ammo pouches, the right side has a large shell carrying pouch and a shooting pad.
- Left side features a pistol holster capable of carrying most medium-framed pistols, 3 pistol magazine pouches which are fully adjustable to the height of most normal-sized magazines.
- Vest is mounted on tough nylon mesh material which aids ventilation.
- Shoulders on vest can be adjusted with long velcro strips, and also have 2 mental D-rings for the attachment of carabiners or other material.
- Vest zips up in front and can be secured additionally with a pistol belt (included) threaded through the loops on the bottom.
- Interior of vest has two zip-up document pockets left and right.
- Rear of vest is double-ply mesh which allows for the addition of a hydration bladder.
- A carrying handle is provided as well as strips across the back for the addition of camouflage material or other pouches.
- Left and right sides can be adjusted for width via drawstrings.
Obviously if you decide to arm yourself, at least in the state of Virginia, there are a few things to know:
1…All you need is a Driver’s License or Military ID plus home utility bill to apply for and purchase a handgun. 30-day waiting period may apply depending on the weapon of choice.
2…More paperwork and background checks may be required for rifles, check with your local gun shop and they can tell you what is required.
3…For a “Conceal and Carry” Permit, you will need to provide the state police with the following form.
Plus take a safety class in order to insure proper care and security of the weapon.